The End (according to Vic)

So, it is over.  We are finally here in Santiago and I start my journey back home tomorrow.  It feels a bit surreal.  I am quite pleased with the accomplishment but disappointed that I was not able to walk the whole way, which is what I set out to do.  Frank’s first blog entry was that one of us wasn’t going to make it.  Well, I made it to the end, but had to miss about 1/3 of the total walking days.  Here’s my stats:

*  I walked a total of 28 days out of 42 total walking days (67% in days).

*  I walked approximately 535 miles out of a total of approximately 747 miles (71.5% in miles).

*  I walked a total of 1.1 million steps during those walking days.

For me, there is unfinished business.  I fully intend to return one day and walk the two stretches I had to miss, which will take over two weeks with all the logistics involved.

In hindsight, I think we pushed ourselves too hard the first week and when the rain kicked in, I chose roadway over dirt paths to avoid mud and pavement is much harder on the body.  I think those combination of factors ultimately caused the lower leg issue that did me in.

The good news is that I learned a lot and now have the full confidence to do a Camino fully on my own - something I’m already thinking about.  They are very challenging, physically and mentally, but there is something very rewarding about the experience.

As they say on the way, buen camino!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book of the Trip

At last, no more pain!