More Camino woes (but some hope also)


After resting for 2.5 days, I, Vic, felt well enough to commence walking again upon leaving Toledo (great city, by the way, highly recommended).  Unfortunately, this turned out to be a pretty brutal stage - about 24 miles with no towns or villages to break it up until towards the end - and I limped into our destination with the same lower left leg in pain.  I was wrecked.  Actually, we both felt that day was tough - at least that’s what Frank said to my face. (Frank - It was brutal, I don’t know how he did it with that leg. It was a mistake to attempt it, my fault. Though I should probably stop referring to him as ‘De Gimp’) . 

Alas, the next morning, despite my best intentions to slog it through, I simply couldn’t.  It just wasn’t realistic to walk that day’s length with the amount of pain I felt.  So, once again, I had to get a taxi to our next destination.  Very disappointing.  But then some light. 

Fortunately, our destination, Escalona, had a medical clinic.  With Frank’s EU Health Insurance card in tow (thanks, Frank!), I fumbled my way with the help of Google Translate (great app) to explain my situation pretending I was Frank from Ireland - the U.S. accent didn’t seem to throw them off.  I was just another gringo.

After asking if I had allergies (I don’t), they gave me a shot in my bum for pain and inflammation, wrapped my lower leg and upper ankle loosely in a bandage and gave me a prescription for some ibuprofen cream, which I filled at the local pharmacy, and told me to rest a few days before re-commencing the walking.  Phew - I really hope this is it.  If so, there’s still over 3 weeks of walking.  I really still want to finish this.  Fingers crossed! (Frank - Looking at the photo below he looks happy enough mind you)

My plan now is to skip ahead after tomorrowto Avila to rest and also ship a few things back home to lighten my backpack in the hopes that a slightly lighter load will increase my chances of being able to finish this thing.  Once Frank gets there (I’ll be one day ahead), we’ll try this again.







Comments

  1. Great to finally see some photos of you guys drinking beer

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, is it fair to say that Frank, with his superior Irish genes, has walked every step of the way? Good man Frank.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of the Trip

At last, no more pain!